Friday, July 4, 2008

2 Years Ago!





The first picture is L's referral picture the second one I just took. boy has he changed :)




I cannot believe it was 2 years ago that we boarded a plane headed to Siberia Russia to meet Logan. That was a day I will never forget. Although we left on the 4th it wasn't until the 6th that we actually landed in Siberia and went to meet Logan.

That was such a strange day. We had tried to become parents for SO MANY YEARS and here we were finally going to meet "our son" for the first time. It was such a hard day. My dear dog Baylee died as we were getting ready to leave for the airport. That was totally unexpected she was not ill at all. It was such a long 2 days of travel. If I remember correctly it was something like 36 hours from the time we left our house until we actually got to strech out on a bed and get some sleep.

The morning of the 6th I was sooooo sick from all of the travel and lack of sleep not to mention I had a WHOLE ball of anxiety to go with the lack of sleep and food. I remember telling Jeff as we were waiting for our translator and driver to pick us up to go meet L that I just couldn't do it. I needed to sleep and then we could go, he told me to pull it together, I had waited so long to be a mom and I was so close. Thank god he was there to get me going. I laid down for about 30 minutes and did some deep breathing and just kept telling myself it was all going to be OK.

I will never forget sitting in Dr. Lubmilla's office and hearing the door open then close and as I turned around there was my beautiful little guy just standing in the middle of the room all by himself. My heart leaped and I was so excited to finally being looking at my baby face to face. He looked scared to death and he was soooooooo serious. It took 2 hours to get him to smile and then our visit for the day ended.

Our journey to become parents took about 5 1/2 years. 1 year of trying alone 2 Years of infertility treatments. And our adoption took almost 2 years to the day to complete. We had 3 different agencies and a trip to Kazakhstan and then finally we found Adoption Ark and thanks to them we finally become parents. I have to say those 11 weeks that we had between our first and second trips were the most grueling 11 weeks of my life. It was so unbelievably hard to leave L behind especially not knowing when we would be back for court and knowing that a Russian family or a bio-family member could come forward for him at any time before we went to court. Thank God the plan was for the 3 of us to be a family.

Logan you are the light of my life. It doesn't make a difference how bad of a day I have your laugh can always make me smile. It is such an honor being your Mommy and I am so happy to watch you grow and thrive. You are the greatest, I love you!

Happy 4th of July

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dawn,
I am a PAP, having recently signed on w/ a 2nd agency for Russia -- Kaz is the 1st, but things are looking pretty ugly there right now. I am "blog surfing", and just want to say "thank you" -- seeing your little man, and the HUGE change in him in just 2 years -- and how he was older at adoption than Kaz promises, is so heartwarming... as is your clear adoration of your son, regardless the broken road that took you to him. I hope that we are as lucky.
Enjoy a wonderful time to celebrate, and thank you for having your story out there for folks like us to gain faith from.. Amy

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

Bless your heart - what an emotional introduction to parenthood. Thank you for sharing your anniversary memories!

cm

Lauri said...

Happy Anniversary....

Denise :o) said...

Happy Anniversary!!! What a great story. You had me all teary-eyed! ;o)