Monday, February 25, 2008

Attachment Parenting

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008802200304

Here is a link to an article from the paper that my Step-Dad pointed out to me last week on "Attachment parenting" It is everywhere, this article is more about Bio-kids than adopted but it just goes to show you if you are thinking about it and people tell you "I didn't raise my kids that way" and you start having doubts do what you want. I have said it before and I will say it again who cares what ANYONE thinks, do what YOU feel is best for YOUR child. I feel that it is very important for adopted kids just coming home to have only the parents do any care taking or showing affection for the first couple months until you get to know your child and they get to know you, after all we are complete strangers to them and vice versa. Here is a quote from the article "It sounds like a throwback to good, instinctual parenting," says Larry Ro-Trock, a psychologist and family therapist in Kansas City. "Kids and parents need to be connected before they separate. A lot of adults who have problems didn't have a sufficient parental bond."

Logan has been home for 17 months and I truly believe that his attachment has just recently went from an anxious attachment to a more secure attachment. I believe that all along he was attaching, but for him it was steps forward and then steps back but all part of the process. I have read many times that it take an infant 10-12 months to form a SECURE attachment to their mother from birth. I have read many times that a secure attachment usually takes as long as the child has spent in an institution. So for Logan it has been a little less, he came home when he was 18 1/2 months old.


On another note, one thing that Logan has been doing is playing on the computer, he loves to type on it. My Mom got him the Fisher Price Easy-link for Christmas and he loves it and so do I. I don't have to be over his shoulder making sure he is not where he shouldn't be, like one time he was on the lap-top and I looked up and he was trying to install a printer, UH-OH. Thank you easy link he can not do that when hooked up to you : ) So about 3 weeks ago I hear him spelling his name and then he says "look Mama" so I look up and he typed his name, OMG he is not even 3 yet, he amazes me everyday!

I took Logan for a hair cut the other day and if you noticed in the last pictures I posted was the awful BUZZ cut, it is Winter for Gods sakes. Last time she did a great job this time she used the clippers, I thought that is what Jeff told me she did, he took him last time and before I knew it was to late to stop her. She did put the longest blade but still it's way to short and we were supposed to go for his B-day pics so I rescheduled them and it's a good thing because of the wall accident the other day. His hair is so short I hope it grows a little before next Thursday.

Here are a couple of pics of Logan in his Frog towel that I got him for Valentines Day, he was funny he told me yesterday to put them on the computer so we could look at them online. He is way to cute : )

No comments: